16 Nov 2015
Final-year students who will soon complete an approved program of study can go online now to apply for registration before they graduate.
The online graduate application service on the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) website smooths the path from study to work by enabling final-year students to apply for registration four to six weeks before completing their course.
All applicants are required to return supporting documents to AHPRA by mail to complete their application. It is important that this is done as soon as possible after applying online - see Next Steps Checklist. Certain applicants will need to apply for an international criminal history check (ICHC) before submitting their application for registration.
Students must select the division or divisions of the profession in which they will practise when making an application for general registration as a Chinese medicine practitioner. The divisions of registration are: acupuncture, Chinese herbal medicine and Chinese herbal dispensing.
Graduates must meet the Chinese Medicine Board of Australia’s registration requirements to be a registered Chinese medicine practitioner and to practise. Registration standards that relate to the new graduate are:
- criminal history
- English language skills, and
- professional indemnity insurance.
There are six simple steps to registration for graduates:
- Students apply for registration four to six weeks before completing their program at Graduate applications on the AHPRA website.
- Applicants fill out an online application (if eligible) or download an application form.
- Applicants send supporting documents to AHPRA by mail to complete the application.
- Education providers advise AHPRA when applicants are eligible to graduate.
- AHPRA finalises assessment, confirms registration, publishes new graduates’ names on the national register of practitioners and sends out registration certificates.
- New graduates registered with the National Board are eligible to start work as soon as their name is published on the national register.
For more information
- Go to Graduate applications on the AHPRA website for FAQ and links to more information
- For registration enquiries or difficulties in accessing the online application form: 1300 419 495 (within Australia)
- For media enquiries: (03) 8708 9200