Chinese Medicine Board of Australia - Graduating soon? Be ready to start work – apply now
Look up a health practitioner


Check if your health practitioner is qualified, registered and their current registration status

Graduating soon? Be ready to start work – apply now

15 Sep 2021

Once you are registered, you can work as a Chinese medicine practitioner anywhere in Australia.

Before you can start practising and using a protected Chinese medicine title, you must be registered with the Chinese Medicine Board of Australia (the Board).

If you're set to complete your course within the next three months - apply for registration now. We'll start assessing your application while we wait for your graduate results.

What is a protected Chinese medicine title?

These include:

  • ‘Chinese medicine practitioner’
  • ‘acupuncturist’
  • ‘Chinese herbal medicine practitioner’
  • ‘Chinese herbal dispenser’, and
  • ‘Oriental medicine practitioner’.

Only practitioners registered with the Board can use these titles. They reflect the division of Chinese medicine practice that a practitioner is qualified in. When applying for registration you need to apply for the division/s relevant to your practice.

How do I apply?

  1. Create your account using the online services portal and complete your application.
  2. Upload your documents and pay the required fees. Check that you have provided all required documentation to prove you’ve met the registration standards, including certified copies of your photo ID.
  3. Wait for your education provider to provide your graduate results to Ahpra.

Once we’ve received your graduate results from your education provider and we are satisfied that you have met all the requirements for registration, we will finalise your application.

When you are registered, we will publish your name to the Register of practitioners, and you can start working as a Chinese medicine practitioner!

Get your application right

Check out our graduate video to help you get your application right.

You’ll find helpful advice, tips for avoiding common causes of delay and downloadable information flyers on the graduate applications page of the Ahpra website.

Photo ID

It's important that you provide correctly certified photo ID documents with your application - the wording is very specific.

‘I certify that this is a true copy of the original and the photograph is a true likeness of the person presenting the document as sighted by me.’

To get it right the first time download the guide ‘Certifying Documents’ and take it with you to the authorised officer.

Who can certify documents?

In addition to JPs, most registered health practitioners, public servants, teachers, lecturers and members of the legal profession can certify photographic ID documents. For the full list of authorised officers see the guide.

Meeting the Board’s registration requirements

When you apply for registration, your application is carefully assessed against the Board’s requirements for registration.

For registration as a Chinese medicine practitioner, you need to prove that you meet the following standards:

  • criminal history
  • English language skills, and
  • professional indemnity insurance.

You will also need to declare any health impairments that may affect your ability to practise.

We cannot register you until we are satisfied that you meet the requirements for registration and are suitably trained and qualified.

How long does it take to assess my application?

We can’t finalise your application until we receive your graduate results from your education provider.

If you’ve submitted everything you need to prove you’ve met the requirements for registration, we aim to finalise your application within two weeks of receiving your graduate results.

I’m already registered in one division; how do I apply for registration in another division?

You must apply for registration using the relevant application for registration form available on the Forms page of the Board’s website.

For more information

  • For registration enquiries or difficulties with the online application form: contact us by making a web enquiry or by calling 1300 419 495 (within Australia).
  • For media enquiries: (03) 8708 9200.
Page reviewed 15/09/2021